Outpatient Facility Resources
Welcome to your resource page!
Here you can find resources organized into categories based on the infection control domains Nebraska ICAP uses during facility reviews.
- Resources in each domain are alphabetized.
- There is a glossary of acronyms at the bottom of this page if you are unsure of the source or type of resource.
If you have questions, feel free to reach out to us to be connected with an experienced Outpatient Infection Preventionist. You can reach us at (402)552-2881 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Outpatient Resources
COVID-19 Resources for Healthcare Settings
COVID-19 Vaccination Resources
- CDC – COVID-19 – Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination
- CDC – Vaccines & Immunizations – COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit
- CDC – COVID-19 Vaccination Clinical and Professional Resources | CDC
- CDC – Stay Up to Date with Your COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC
- CMS – Medicare and Medicaid Programs COVID-19 Healthcare Vaccination: QSO-22-09-ALL
- IAC – Ask the Experts – COVID-19
- IAC – Vaccines: COVID-19
- Nebraska Poison – COVID-19 Vaccine Quick Reference Storage and Handling Guide
General Outpatient Resources
Infection Prevention and Control Infrastructure
- AAAHC – Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- CDC – Guide to Infection Prevention for Outpatient Settings: Minimum Expectations for Safe Care
- delines & GuidCDC – Infection Control – Guiance Library
- Readers are urged to consult the full guidelines for background, rationale, and evidence behind each recommendation.
- CDC – Injection Safety – Infection Control Assessment of Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- CMS – Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Infection Control Surveyor Worksheet
- CMS – State Operations Manual – Appendix K – Guidance to Surveyors: Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Facilities
- CMS – State Operations Manual – Appendix L – Guidance for Surveyors: Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Infection Control Training and Competency
- APIC –Education and Events Overview
- APIC – Infection Preventionist (IP) competency model
- APIC – Topic-specific infection prevention
- APIC Nebraska – Home Page
- CBIC – Get Certified as a CIC
- CDC – CDC / State Targeting Reduction in Infections via Engagement (STRIVE) Infection Control Training
- CDC – Infection Control – Quick Observation Tools (QUOTs) for Infection Prevention
- CDC – Project Firstline: CDC’s National Training Collaborative for Healthcare Infection Prevention & Control
- NICN – Nebraska Infection Control Home Page
Healthcare Personnel Safety
- CDC – Infection Control in Healthcare Personnel: Infrastructure and Routine Practices for Occupational Infection Prevention and Control Services
- CDC – Tuberculosis Screening, Testing, and Treatment of U.S. Health Care Personnel: Recommendations from the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association and CDC
- OSHA – Bloodborne Pathogens: Quick Reference Guide to the Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
- OSHA – Occupational Safety and Health Standards – 1910.1030 – Bloodborne pathogens
- OSHA – OSHA Fact Sheet – OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
Surveillance and Disease Reporting
- CDC – Multidrug-resistant organisms (MDRO) Management
- CDC – Type and Duration of Precautions Recommended for Selected Infections and Conditions – Appendix A
- NE DHHS – 173 NAC 1 – Reporting and Control of Communicable Diseases
- NHSN – Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASC)
- SHEA – Strategies to Prevent Infections in Acute Care Hospitals – Surgical Site Infections (SSI)
- APIC – Hand Hygiene
- CDC – Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings
- CDC – Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings: Hand Hygiene Guidance
- Glogerm™ – Home Page
- NE ICAP – Audit of Hand Hygiene
- WHO – Hand Hygiene: Why, How & When?
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Standard and Transmission Based Precautions
- CDC – Injection Safety
- CDC – Injection Safety Checklist
- CDC – Injection Safety – Drug Diversion
- CDC – Injection Safety – One & Only Campaign
- CDC – Workbook for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating a Sharps Injury Prevention Program
- CSTE – HAI Drug Diversion Toolkit
- NE ICAP – Policy Template: Safe Injection Policy Template
- NE ICAP – Policy Review Guide
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What is a “splash zone” and what is the guidance associated with it?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What type of thermometer should I use when monitoring our facility medication refrigerator temperatures? What do I document, and how often?
Prevention of Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
Respiratory Hygiene and Cough Etiquette
Point of Care Testing
- CDC – CDC Clinical Reminder: Insulin Pens Must Never Be Used for More than One Person
- CDC – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding Assisted Blood Glucose Monitoring and Insulin Administration
- CDC – Infection Prevention during Blood Glucose Monitoring and Insulin Administration
- NE ICAP – Blood Glucose Monitoring Audit Tool revised
- NE ICAP – Should I verify the competency of the healthcare workers who are performing assisted blood glucose monitoring?
- NE ICAP – What factors should be considered when developing a protocol or policy for cleaning and disinfection of blood glucose meters used on multiple patients?
- NE ICAP – Protocol Template: Glucometer Cleaning Protocol Template
Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection
- APIC – Strategies to Mitigate Cross Contamination of Non-critical Medical Devices
- CDC –Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities
- CDC – Infection Control – Environmental Infection Control Guidelines (Home Page)
- CDC – PDF: Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities
- Environmental Services
- Environmental Sampling
- Laundry and Bedding
- Animals in Healthcare Facilities
- Regulated Medical Waste
- CDC – Best Practices for Cleaning and Disinfection in Healthcare Facilities
- EPA – Medical Waste Frequent Questions
- Minnesota Hospital Association – Environmental Services Cleaning Guidebook
- EPA – Where You Live — State Medical Waste Programs and Regulations
- NE ICAP – Environmental Cleaning in Healthcare Training Video Series
- NE ICAP – Form: Annual Blacklight Tracking Workbook
- NE ICAP – Form: EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Form: Public Area EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Form: Patient Room EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Form: Spa/ Shower EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Policy Template: Undersink Storage Sample Policy
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: I have been cited for having linen stored inappropriately. What is the recommendation for storing linen?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Is it sufficient to clean shared nail clippers with alcohol?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Is it true that when a facility has patients/residents with Clostridium difficile or Norovirus, a special type of disinfectant is required after cleaning?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Should gait belts be assigned per aide/therapist, and used on several residents, or should they be dedicated to one resident, and only used for that resident?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What factors should be considered when developing a protocol or policy for cleaning and disinfection of blood glucose meters used on multiple patients?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What should NOT be stored under sinks?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Where can I find a list of the cleaning/disinfecting products effective for killing bacteria and viruses?
- AAMI/ ANSI – ST79: Comprehensive guide to steam sterilization and sterility assurance in health care
- Paid Resource
- AORN – Standards for Perioperative Nursing
- APIC –Infection Preventionist’s Guide to the OR
- CDC – Disinfection and Sterilization
- CDC – HICPAC: Essential Elements of a Reprocessing Program for Flexible Endoscopes
- CDC – Reuse of Single-Use Medical Devices
- CDC – Sterilizing Practices
- FDA – Frequently-Asked-Questions about the Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices by Third-Party and Hospital Reprocessors
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine Special Statement – Frequently-Asked-Questions about the Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices by Third-Party and Hospital Reprocessors
- Steris – Wet Pack Checklist
Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA) for Construction
- ASHE – Using the Health Care Physical Environment to Prevent and Control Infection
- ASHE – Complimentary Tool – Infection Control Risk Assessment 2.0 (ICRA 2.0)
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What is an Infection Control Risk Assessment for Construction?
General Vaccine and Immunization Resources
- ACIP – ACIP Recommendations
- CDC – Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases – The Pink Book
- CDC – Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis in Health-Care Settings
- CDC – Influenza Vaccination of Health-Care Personnel
- CDC – Vaccine & Immunizations
- IAC – Immunization Action Coalition Home Page
- ID Society – COVID-19 Real-Time Learning Network
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Can I store vaccines in the door of our medication refrigerator?
- ASHRAE – ASHRAE Standard 188-2018 – Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems
- CDC – Legionella Toolkit: Developing a Water Management Program to Reduce Legionella Growth and Spread in Buildings
- CDC – Water Management in Healthcare Facilities
- CDC – Healthcare Water Management Program Frequently Asked Questions
- CDC – Water Infection Control Risk Assessment (WICRA) for Healthcare Settings
- Facility Guidelines Institute (FGI) – Guidelines for Design and Construction of Outpatient Facilities
- AAAHC: Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care
- AAMI: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
- AORN: Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
- APIC: Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
- ASHRAE: American Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- CAUTI: Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infection
- CDC: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDI: Clostridiodes dificille Infection
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- EPA: Environmental Protection Agency
- FDA: Food and Drug Administration
- FGI: Facility Guidelines Institute
- HAI: Hospital Acquired Infection
- HAN: Health Alert Network
- HICPAC: Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee
- IAC: Immunization Action Coalition
- MDRO: Multi Drug Resistant Organism
- Ne ASAP: Nebraska Antimicrobial Stewardship Assessment and Promotion Program
- Ne DHHS: Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
- Ne ICAP: Nebraska Infection Control Assessment and Promotion Program
- NETEC: National Emerging Special Pathogens Training and Education Center
- NHSN: National Health Safety Network
- NIOSH: National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- OSHA: Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- PPE: Personal Protective Equipment
- SHEA: Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- TJC: The Joint Commission
- WHO: World Health Organization