Dialysis Facility Resources
Welcome to your resource page!
Here you can find resources organized into categories based on the infection control domains Nebraska ICAP uses during facility reviews.
- Resources in each domain are alphabetized.
- There is a glossary of acronyms at the bottom of this page if you are unsure of the source or type of resource.
If you have questions, feel free to reach out to us to be connected with an experienced Dialysis Infection Preventionist. You can reach us at (402)552-2881 or email@example.com.
COVID-19 Dialysis Resources
COVID-19 Resources for Healthcare Settings
COVID-19 Vaccination Resources
- CDC – COVID-19 – Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination
- CDC – Vaccines & Immunizations – COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit
- CDC – COVID-19 Vaccination Clinical and Professional Resources | CDC
- CDC – Stay Up to Date with Your COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC
- CMS – Medicare and Medicaid Programs COVID-19 Healthcare Vaccination: QSO-22-09-ALL
- IAC – Ask the Experts – COVID-19
- IAC – Vaccines: COVID-19
- Nebraska Poison – COVID-19 Vaccine Quick Reference Storage and Handling Guide
Monkeypox Testing and Transport
- CDC – 2022.05.20 HAN Advisory: Monkeypox
- CDC – Considerations for Reducing Monkeypox Transmission in Congregate Living Settings
- CDC – Infection Prevention and Control of Monkeypox in Healthcare Settings
- CDC – Treatment Information for Healthcare Professionals
- CDC – Considerations for Monkeypox Vaccination
- CDC – MMWR Monkeypox Reports
- WHO – Monkeypox Outbreak Toolkit
- Immunize.org – Monkeypox Resource Page
- NE ICAP – JYNNEOS Vaccine Information
- NE ICAP – ACAM 2000 Vaccine Information
- UNMC / Nebraska Medicine – Guidance on Obtaining Tecovirimat and CDC Requirements
School Setting Resources
Dental Setting Resources
General Dialysis Resources
Infection Prevention and Control Program Infrastructure
Training, Competency and Audits
- American Society of Nephrology – Online Modules
- APIC – Dialysis Guide
- CDC – Clinician Education on Dialysis Safety
- CDC – Dialysis Audit Tools and Checklist
- CDC – Infection Prevention in Dialysis-Power Point
- CDC – Resource Center-posters, checklist, and fact sheets
- CDC –STRIVE Infection Control Training
- CDC – CDC Train
- ESRD – NCC (National Coordinating Center)
Surveillance and Disease Reporting
Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Safety
- CDC – Infection Control in Healthcare Personnel: Infrastructure and Routine Practices for Occupational Infection Prevention and Control Services
- CDC – Tuberculosis Screening, Testing, and Treatment of U.S. Health Care Personnel: Recommendations from the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association and CDC
- OSHA – Bloodborne Pathogens: Quick Reference Guide to the Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
- OSHA – Occupational Safety and Health Standards – 1910.1030 – Bloodborne pathogens
- OSHA – OSHA Fact Sheet – OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief for Dialysis Glove use
Respiratory Hygiene and Cough Etiquette
Standard and Transmission Based Precautions
Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection
- APIC – Strategies to Mitigate Cross Contamination of Non-critical Medical Devices
- CDC –Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities
- CDC – Infection Control – Environmental Infection Control Guidelines (Home Page)
- CDC – PDF: Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities
- Environmental Services
- Environmental Sampling
- Laundry and Bedding
- Animals in Healthcare Facilities
- Regulated Medical Waste
- CDC – Best Practices for Cleaning and Disinfection in Healthcare Facilities
- EPA – Medical Waste Frequent Questions
- Minnesota Hospital Association – Environmental Services Cleaning Guidebook
- EPA – Where You Live — State Medical Waste Programs and Regulations
- NE ICAP – Environmental Cleaning in Healthcare Training Video Series
- NE ICAP – Form: Annual Blacklight Tracking Workbook
- NE ICAP – Form: EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Form: Public Area EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Form: Patient Room EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Form: Spa/ Shower EVS Audit Tracking Form
- NE ICAP – Policy Template: Undersink Storage Sample Policy
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: I have been cited for having linen stored inappropriately. What is the recommendation for storing linen?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Is it sufficient to clean shared nail clippers with alcohol?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Is it true that when a facility has patients/residents with Clostridium difficile or Norovirus, a special type of disinfectant is required after cleaning?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Should gait belts be assigned per aide/therapist, and used on several residents, or should they be dedicated to one resident, and only used for that resident?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What factors should be considered when developing a protocol or policy for cleaning and disinfection of blood glucose meters used on multiple patients?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What should NOT be stored under sinks?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Where can I find a list of the cleaning/disinfecting products effective for killing bacteria and viruses?
Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection for the Dialysis Setting
- APIC – Hand Hygiene
- CDC – Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings
- CDC – Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings: Hand Hygiene Guidance
- Glogerm™ – Home Page
- NE ICAP – Audit of Hand Hygiene
- WHO – Hand Hygiene: Why, How & When?
Catheter and Other Vascular Access Care
Injection Safety in the Dialysis Setting
- CDC – Injection Safety
- CDC – Injection Safety Checklist
- CDC – Injection Safety – Drug Diversion
- CDC – Injection Safety – One & Only Campaign
- CDC – Workbook for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating a Sharps Injury Prevention Program
- CSTE – HAI Drug Diversion Toolkit
- NE ICAP – Policy Template: Safe Injection Policy Template
- NE ICAP – Policy Review Guide
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What is a “splash zone” and what is the guidance associated with it?
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What type of thermometer should I use when monitoring our facility medication refrigerator temperatures? What do I document, and how often?
Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA) for Construction
- ASHE – Using the Health Care Physical Environment to Prevent and Control Infection
- ASHE – Complimentary Tool – Infection Control Risk Assessment 2.0 (ICRA 2.0)
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: What is an Infection Control Risk Assessment for Construction?
General Vaccine and Immunization Resources
- ACIP – ACIP Recommendations
- CDC – Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases – The Pink Book
- CDC – Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis in Health-Care Settings
- CDC – Influenza Vaccination of Health-Care Personnel
- CDC – Vaccine & Immunizations
- IAC – Immunization Action Coalition Home Page
- ID Society – COVID-19 Real-Time Learning Network
- NE ICAP – Practice Brief: Can I store vaccines in the door of our medication refrigerator?
Dialysis Specific Vaccine and Immunization Resources
- CDC – Water Use in Dialysis
- AAMI: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
- APIC: Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
- ASHRAE: American Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- CAUTI: Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infection
- CDC: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDI: Clostridiodes dificille Infection
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- EPA: Environmental Protection Agency
- FDA: Food and Drug Administration
- HAI: Hospital Acquired Infection
- HAN: Health Alert Network
- HICPAC: Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee
- IAC: Immunization Action Coalition
- MDRO: Multi Drug Resistant Organism
- Ne ASAP: Nebraska Antimicrobial Stewardship Assessment and Promotion Program
- Ne DHHS: Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
- Ne ICAP: Nebraska Infection Control Assessment and Promotion Program
- NETEC: National Emerging Special Pathogens Training and Education Center
- NIOSH: National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- OSHA: Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- PPE: Personal Protective Equipment
- SHEA: Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- TJC: The Joint Commission
- WHO: World Health Organization